White Spots On Teeth Causes And Treatment
White spots on your teeth? Normally white spots on teeth are caused because of cosmetic issues, excessive fluorides which might lead to teeth decay. But at times, because of underlying causes the symptom for teeth decay might be unfound. And so, when you find white spots, first try to figure out the cause, try keeping yourself away from those causes and then try to get rid out of that both by home remedies and by medically.
Know what white spots on teeth are!
Doctors call such white spots as hypoplasia and medically it is called as hypo calcification. In fact, hypo calcification is occurred by the loss of mineral content in the tooth layer – which is the enamel. And when you first find the white spot on your tooth that is the first sign of tooth decay. So when the top layer of the tooth – the enamel gets fade away & you find opaque as a spot, decide yourself to consult a dentist to get rid of cavity problems as a precaution.
As per the medical study, fluorosis is the most common factor for white spots. It is that condition of enamel loss because of the excessive addition of fluoride to the tooth roots. When the tooth gets rooted out with excessive fluorosis, an excessive amount of calcium gets released out that result in a white spot on the tooth enamel which is unappealing especially when it happens in the front row of the teeth. On the other cause, it happens when there is a lot of mineral loss as we discussed in the earlier paragraphs. When Can Babies Eat Yogurt is equally important to know. Check out!
There are n numbers of factors causing white spots in which appending below are few of the causes:
Poor care: In general, when you don’t care your teeth properly with regular brushing and flossing, then you might end up with poor gums and decay issues, and finally you might develop white spots even once when the braces come off.
Though braces are not complete responsibility for tooth decay and white spots, however, poor dental hygiene grows plaque behind the braces, leading to improper brushing and then finally tooth decay and white spots. Waterpik would be a useful tool to reach out the corners for proper cleaning.
Cleaning the mouth is a must habit in which then lead to getting affected by plaque – a thin sticky colorless and odour coat of debris formed after having carbohydrate foods; the sugar and starch molecules of the foods left remain uncleaned in the mouth will create acid that causing tooth decay and white spot.
Dryness: When you leave your mouth for more than hours, there won’t be saliva to maintain the pH level. Hence, when there is a lack of pH neutral balance in the mouth, bacteria would grow faster and spoil the teeth and its enamel with its acids, hence forming white spots.
Dry mouth also causes when there is much intake of drugs, medicines, usage of tobacco & other products, and breath through the mouth while asleep. And so drinking plenty of water would help a lot to get rid of dry mouth. In addition, try using xylitol mints; mouth washes determined especially for dry mouths will help indeed.
Adequate intake of acidic foods: Those who intake much of acidic foods say for sour tastes, candies, lemon added or vinegar added are having greater chances to get affected by white spots. Hence cut down drinking lemonades, carbonated soda and other higher acidic content foodstuffs will help you to get rid of that, wherein the acids present in such food stuff will damage the teeth enamel and minerals present in the teeth. The acids would dissolve the enamel causing white decalcification and cavities. In addition, acid reflux, as in another term it is GERD would also spoil the tooth.
An excessive amount of fluoride presence: Fluoride is one of the essential minerals for teeth health; the, however, an excessive amount of fluoride will appear out as white spots and cavities. Unknowingly when you consume excess fluoride either by drinking water or by any other foodstuffs, or even by the toothpaste that one regularly uses might cause a similar effect. In addition, care must be given more to the children when in the stage of tooth development to control the fluoride presence in the tooth roots.
Teeth whitening strips: Teeth whitening strips are the one that helps to whiten the teeth, wherein it is made up of plastic material and has gel-like affluence to get glued to the teeth area. When prolonging usage of such strips would leave forming high acidic content which will demineralize the teeth, then damage to enamel happens to bring out white spots.
Celiac disease: Celiac disease is an autoimmune infection which has many side-effects of getting the catch of eczema, sclerosis, osteoporosis and arthritis, in which it is highly related to teeth defects. Celiac causes improper growth of teeth, yellow teeth and groove or pitting teeth.
Genomic defects: On rare cases, chances are there to get affected by white spots when there are genetic disorders.
How to remove white spots on teeth ?
There are several medical ways to remove white spots say for: bleaching – to obscure the white coloration, air abrasion – blowing of crystal molecules on the high deposit of calcium content and recently practicing micro abrasion method. Wherein this treatment, dentists use porcelain veneer or cap to screen the white spots. However this method shows the result of disturbing tooth roots, hence, resin infiltration system is one another popularly using method with zero side effects to the tooth and its root structure.
Resin Infiltration System: The process involves infiltrating the tooth pores with patented tooth color resins similar to those white spots as filling. To open the tooth pores, a gel-like substance is applied on the white spots to enable the strong penetration of the resin. When the white spots are infiltrated by the applied resin it gives out the healthy appearance of the enamel which in then followed by resin light curing process.
The resins also help to protect the teeth by blocking enamel-eating acids and protect from other decaying bacteria too. This resin infiltration system takes place about only 15 minutes with no anesthesia and drilling required.
Topical Re-mineralization: It is a kind of natural therapy where filling of those white spots holes takes place to disguise the white spots with milky white appearance. And sooner a period of time, regular brushing and flossing will fade away the white spots, thus white spots on teeth might unfound.
Pastes: Pastes are of prescription formulated in which the content of passes with CCP & ACP and ppm lesser than 1000 will help in the re-mineralizing process to rectify the white spots. ACP as an active ingredient will fix the white spots in a greater mean.
As a bottom line, below appending are the other few treatment methodologies were in practice at the dental clinics:
- Oral hygiene
- CCP – ACP gum and paste
- Resin infiltration system
- Composite bonding
- Porcelain veneers
How to prevent getting white spots on teeth?
Before delving into researches and studies, first learn that:
- White spots can be prevented by proper brushing, flossing and good maintenance of oral health
- Kids are probing in getting higher number of chances to defect by white spots while wearing braces (study in 2012 results)
- Periodic visits to Orthodontists will help a lot in preventing white spots
Perfect and regular brushing and flossing are the first methods. Add healthy foods and fresh juices instead carbonated drinks, use fluoride toothpaste. And also:
- Drink plenty of water and fresh fruit juices
- Take proper meals and nutritional supplements instead of chats and snacks
- Do brush after every intake
- Floss before bed time
- Give periodic visit to dentist at least once in six months
Special techniques: As everyone know brushing and flossing care quite common, yet there are some extraordinary tips and techniques especially for those who wear braces. There are power toothbrushes available on the market to remove plaque effectively, and there are also pre-threaded flossers, and plaque disclosing pills.
Fluoride: After improving an effective brushing and flossing, try practicing prescription based fluoride which would provide protection to the children’s teeth. Fluoride has the tendency of fighting against cavities and decaying germs & bacteria by replacing the hydroxyl component in the hydroxyapatite – an essential mineral content for the teeth. It allows teeth enamel to be very resistant to bacteria by dissolving the acids producing from the food stuff.
And the other four effective methods to implement topical fluoride layer that the dentists association actually recommends are off: fluoride added to toothpaste, mouth rinse, gels, and varnish.
White spots on teeth home remedies
White spots on teeth can be prevented as discussed in the earlier and the same can be treated by practicing home remedies, as appending below.
Baking soda, lemon, salt are the key ingredients that help greatly for oral health where you can treat yourself at your home step. Baking soda has the tendency of curing bad breath, cleansing the teeth, removes risks of teeth decay and shine the teeth. Following are the few tips that are a combination with baking soda.
Note: Dilute the baking soda with water wherein the direct application might cause tooth irritation.
- Baking Soda Teeth Cleaner: Take a pinch of baking soda and your brush.Just wet your brush, and dip with baking soda starts brushing. Do brush for some 3 minutes, and cover all the teeth. Rinse your mouth with warm water and then brush with your regular toothpaste. Try following this for minimum twice a week for an effective remedy to get rid out from white spots, tooth decay and bad breath even.
- Baking soda with lemon: Take 2 pinches of baking soda, 2 drops of lemon and your brush.Mix the baking soda with lemon drops and make a fine paste. Now wet your brush, and dip in the finely made paste, then do brushing. Do brush for some 3 minutes, and cover all the teeth. Rinse your mouth with warm water and then brush with your regular toothpaste. Try following this for minimum twice a week for an effective remedy as to get rid of white spots, tooth decay and you might see an effective result on teeth whitening.
- Baking soda with Strawberry: Baking soda acts as a natural teeth whitening agent, strawberry with its vitamin C content help greatly to remove white spots. Also, strawberry helps to remove cavities and any other stains in the teeth.Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda, and 3 fresh flashes of ripened strawberry pulps. Mash the strawberries then add baking soda and make it into a fine paste. Take the paste and brush perfectly for some 3 minutes, rinse off with warm water. Try this every day to fix the white spots on your teeth in a week time.
- Baking soda with Vinegar: Baking soda with vinegar drops act effectively for sparkling teeth. Take 2 pinches of baking soda with a tablespoon of vinegar. Mix the ingredients to make a fine paste and brush thoroughly for some 3 minutes. Instead using a brush, you can try with your finger also for rough brushing for effective results. On alternate days practice of this method will whiten your teeth with zero white spots.
- Baking soda with peppermint extract & glycerine: Peppermint fights against plaque effectively, also protect the tooth from discoloration. In addition, it has anti-bacterial properties with good flavor too. Glycerine acts as a stain remover, soothes sores if any inside the mouth, and soothes gums.Take 2 pinches of baking soda, 2 drops of peppermint extract, 1 drop of glycerine and you can add a little salt to avoid tasteless sense! Mix all the ingredients one by one, avoid lumps while mixing and make a uniform paste. Use either fingertip or brush for brushing. Do gentle brush for 3 minutes and rinse off with warm water. Try doing this method twice a week will effectively get you out from white spots.
- Coconut oil treatment: Coconut oil has a nourishing quality that will soothe the gums and provide teeth strength. It also acts as a bleaching agent to remove plaque from the teeth area if any. Just take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, shove & swish it in your mouth. Do oil pulling for some 4 minutes, remember don’t drink and spit it out. Then rinse & wash the mouth with warm water. Make this as practice and do this regularly before every brushing. You will see the disappearing off white spots on teeth significantly.
- Green tea treatment: Green tea with properties of caffeic acid, Gallic acid, chlorogenic acid and flavonoids act effectively as a powerful agent for teeth re-mineralization with essential nutrients & minerals. It also has a compound known as catechin which is essential for plaque removal with its natural source of fluoride.Make a strong green tea with hot water. Allow the green tea to be warm, shove the green tea in the mouth and allow swirl nicely for some 3 minutes. Repeat the process and finish the entire cup. Then rinse with warm water, try practicing this method as 2 to 3 times per day to get rid of white spots on teeth in a week.
- Turmeric treatment: Turmeric with its natural source of antibiotic, antiseptic and antibacterial properties help for oral hygiene by fighting against tooth decay, cavities, teeth whitening and removal of white spots.Just take 1 tablespoon of turmeric, 4 drops of lemon in a bowl. Mix it well to make a fine paste and add a pinch of salt too. Brush with either fingertip or a gentle brush for some 3 minutes. Repeat this once a day for effective results.
- Margosa treatment: Margosa leaves have a natural source of antibiotic and antiseptic It kills plaque-causing bacteria, decaying germs, cures gums from softening & bleeding as well as cases the bad breath. It also has astringent property for effective removal of white spots on teeth.Take some 3 drops of margosa oil and you’re regularly using toothpaste. Take a tamarind seed sized of toothpaste, add margosa oil with it, and mix it. Then brush for nearly 3 minutes, and rinse with warm water. Try this combination every day to get a significant result.
- Basil leaves treatment:
- Basil leaves with mustard oil combination: Such combination acts well for strong teeth with plaque and defects free. Take some 5 numbers of basil leaves; blend it to get a fine Add a tablespoon of mustard oil to the paste and then brush for some 5 minutes. Clean and rinse for few minutes with cold water, just try following this every morning for effective whitening teeth with no more white spots.
- Dried basil leaves treatment: Take some fresh basil leaves and allow them to be dried in shadow (be sure that they must not get dried in the hot sun). Blend the dried leaves and make it a fine Just brush – as in rub the teeth thoroughly by using fingertips. If you feel weird, try adding a pinch of salt and then brush regularly. Repeat this twice a week to shop off the white spots on teeth permanently.
- Banana treatment: Banana is rich in potassium, manganese and magnesium which help for teeth whitening in an effective way. Practise intake of one banana daily, and for this treatment, consider the banana peel.Take a banana peel of ripened one and cut into small pieces. Just rub against the teeth thoroughly for a minute, repeat the process and finish all the pieces. Wait for some 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water. Now you can brush with your toothpaste, try this simple trick daily in the morning to get rid of white spots on teeth and also to get it sparkling!
- Sugarcane treatment: Sugarcane is rich in manganese, and magnesium. Eating sugarcane once in six months will wash away all the debris from the mouth hidden in all the corners, along with plaque layers and cavities.
Prepare your own re-mineralizing toothpaste
To remove white spots on teeth, just keep ready the below-following ingredients to prepare home-made re-mineralizing toothpaste! Re-mineralizing would help teeth getting stronger and strengthen the roots with cleansing effects indeed.
- Calcium powder – 5 tbsp
- Baking soda – 3 tbsp
- Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
- Peppermint – 1 tbsp
- Xylitol – 2 tbsp
- Castile soap (in liquid form) – 1 tbsp
Take calcium powder in a mud bowl, add xylitol and baking soda. Mix it, then add coconut oil, Castile liquid soap, again mix well and finally add peppermint. You can use a blender to make a fine & uniform paste. Now use this paste and brush your teeth regularly. When you make this re-mineralizing paste, you can keep this for two days. Do brush both in the morning and bed time, and just free from all cavity defects, white spots and debris right away.
Though if you find white spots on teeth after whitening, then you must be cautious on your diet. Add more citrus fruits such as lemon, oranges, eat more raw carrots, consume apple cider vinegar, regular intake of raisins, apples, strawberries, and all kinds of berry fruits. Just say big NO to soda, beverages, aerated drinks, carbohydrate-rich food stuff, and starch rich food stuff.
Brush twice a day both in the first morning and bedtime, do floss after every meal and rinse the mouth well. Must drink plenty of water, don’t leave your mouth to get dried. And be sure to do dry brushing or brushing with ordinary water before regular brushing, wherein it helps to remove plaque layers. Whenever getting any set of dental pain, can try doing home remedies with natural sources but not with self-medication! Take much care if you wear braces to clean the teeth thoroughly and be sure of in taking of calcium-rich foods to protect teeth and the enamel coat.