How to Have Twins?
The idea of having twins is usually pretty extreme for couples. Some absolutely love the idea, while others lose their colour if you mention anything like this. Well, to each his own, we say. This article is dedicated to the folks who want to know how to have twins.
How to have twins and What are the chances of having twins?
Twins can be fraternal or identical. The fraternal twins develop from two separate eggs. Identical twins are rarer as they are a result of one fertilized egg splitting early in the pregnancy. Many a times, identical twins are called a fluke of nature as there are no concrete causes for this to happen.
Take a look at the following scenarios to better understand how to have twins and what makes your chances better:
- Family History: If the woman has twins, or her mother did or her sister does, then the woman has a higher probability of having twins. Please note that a history of twins in the man’s family does not help the case in any way. The main reason behind this is that there might be some genetic component that helps the woman produce more than one egg at a time, also known as hyper ovulation. Either you have the “Twin Gene” or not. If twins run in the family, your chance of having twins is higher than others by 400%. That is an amazing statistic to go by.
- Ethnicity: African American women are more likely to have twins as compared to Caucasian or Asian women. Why this works is anybody’s guess. But it is believed that it might be a result of not just your ethnicity but also an indication of the climate in which you stay.
- Age: Twins are more common in older women. This is because just before the woman reaches menopause, the ovaries start producing more than one egg per month. This spike is due to oestrogen. This is seen more in women above 35 years of age. However, the probability of getting pregnant also goes down with age, so please don’t wait too long.
- Height: Taller women, that is, women above 5’ 6” are more likely to have twins.
How to have twins – What you can do to increase your chances
- Folic Acid: Consuming food that is rich in folic acid is said to increase the chances of conceiving twins. While there have been no conclusive studies to validate this statement, consuming folic acid supplements is still a good idea. Folic acid helps prevent neural tube defects. So even if twins are not on your mind, folic acid should be in your diet.
- Gain weight: According to some studies, being overweight increases the chances of having twins. Being heavier indicates a higher Body Mass Index (BMI). Studies show that women with higher BMI have a higher tendency to have twins. Consult your doctor to ensure that your weight gain is done in a healthy way. The BMI for fertile females usually range from 20 to 25. If you are substantially overweight, it actually reduces you chances of conceiving.
- Dairy Products: Consumption of dairy products is said to increase the odds of you conceiving twins. This might be due to the insulin-like growth factors (IGF) that cows have. It might also be a result of the milk coming from genetically enhanced cows. Due to both these factors, the milk coming from these cows might actually be the X Factor in having twins.
- Yams/Sweet Potatoes: Eating more yams gives you a better chance of having twins. It has been noticed that areas where yam is a major produce, have shown more instances of twins. Apparently, yam’s composition is such that it helps increases fertility. Yams improve the ovulation process, thereby increasing the chances of twins.
- Breastfeeding: If you are currently breastfeeding, then the chance of you conceiving twins is higher as compared to others. If twins are on your mind, it might be a good idea to not wean you kid off your breast milk yet.
- Previous Pregnancies: Women who have been pregnant before have a higher chance of conceiving twins.
- Big Family: If you already have a big family and have been pregnant multiple times (more than four), then the chances of you having twins increases. Just simple math!
- In-Vitro Fertilization: People who go through In-Vitro Fertilization or IVF treatment are more likely to have twins. Some studies indicate that almost 20% of the babies born through IVF are twins or triplets! Those are some extremely robust statistics! IVF Treatments are fairly common these days but these are not cheap. Consult your doctor about the implications.
- Fertility Drugs: Fertility drugs induce production of multiple eggs per month. This is because the medication supports the ovaries in helping more than one ovarian follicle in reaching maturity. The higher ovulation increases the chances of having twins.
- Pill: Women who conceive when they are on the pill have a higher chance of having twins. While this looks next to impossible, there is another thing you can try. Try to conceive as soon as you stop taking the pill. The logic behind this is that once you stop the pills, your body goes through a hormonal readjustment. This hormonal readjustment might take a couple of cycles, during which period you have a higher chance of having twins.
- Eat Zinc: This is one thing where your partner can contribute to the twin baby making is this! Ask your partner to eat food that is rich in zinc, like, oysters, green leafy vegetables, bread. Zinc helps in increasing the sperm count and hence increases the chances of fertilizing more than one egg.
How to have twins is a question we have tried to answer in this article. Having twins is a desire you have, but don’t let that rule your pregnancy decisions! The most important thing is that the mother and baby remain healthy! Do not take any medicinal or herbal supplements without consulting your doctor. Different supplements react differently and you don’t want one interfering with the other. Please note that there is no scientific finality to any of the methods. However, most of the methods require you to have better food or useful supplements and there is no harm in trying these. All the best for having twins!